Choosing the best SEO tools for the job can be a daunting task. There are so many free and paid options out there so it’s natural to think “where do I start?”
From getting the best features, to ensuring the maximum outcome for your website to everything in between, it’s easy to become lost and confused.
To help you do your due diligence before selecting the search engine optimization (SEO) tool, we’ve put together an amazing list of free SEO tools with all the information you’ll need to make the right choice.
Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a free service offered by Google that helps you monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot your site’s presence in Google Search results. Perhaps, it’s hard to imagine doing advance SEO without access to the data inside Google’s Search Console. Below are some of the benefits of using Google Search Console:
- You can track your website search performance including click-through rate (CTR), indexing status of the website, crawl errors, actual traffic on the landing pages, etc.
- It helps in identifying which search terms are driving traffic to your site. It will give you the relevant keywords for which you need to optimize your site.
- Track external and internal backlinks of the website.
- It helps you to know if your Schema Markup in place or not.
- Find page errors of your website and many more.
Google Analytics is a free service provided by Google to analyze data for your business in one place. Tracking of different metrics, performance, and progress of the websites make Google Analytics invaluable assets for the marketers worldwide. Google Analytics primary features include:
- Measure & Assess scores of your marketing efforts as well as user engagement sessions by providing a centralized platform for data collection, reporting, and analysis.
- Track the number of people (traffic) visiting your website from various assisted channels i.e organic search, referral & Social Network. Also, get data for new visitors vs. returning visitors.
- Custom reports and segmentation for the analysis of subsets, such as conversions.
- Easily integrates with other Google products, such as AdWords, and Website Optimizer.
Ubersuggest is a free keyword research tool which also offers some handy features like
- Domain Overview
- Top SEO Pages
- Keyword Suggestions
- Content Ideas and Backlink data
With this free tool, you can get in-depth analysis and explanation about your website’s health and what needs to be done for improvement. It aggregates data from Google Suggest which provides keyword ideas similar and related to your searches on Google.
Google Keyword Planner
Google Keyword Planner is one of the best tools to check important metrics for a keyword like a search volume, competition level, and CPC. When you insert one keyword, multiple keywords, or even your website address into Keyword Planner, Google will spit out a list of related keywords along with simple metrics to gauge how fierce the competition is around each one and how many searches it gets on both a global and local search level. Following are some of its key features:-
- Get search volume data and historical keyword trends.
- Find new keywords ideas by typing in phrases, words, categories, or URLs.
- Review forecasts for average bid price or keyword performance.
- Filter keyword results based on location, language, dates, interest and more.
- Provide average monthly searches, competition level, suggested bids, impressions, and average organic position.
- Get stats and performance estimates, and get more specific by adding in targeting options like country, language, and search network to paint a more realistic picture.
All of these features are free for anyone to use, some of them require you to connect your Google Analytics account with your Google Ads account.
Screaming Frog SEO Spider
- First, insert the website URL and commence the crawl.
- Once the crawl is completed, you will get a full list of URLs including images, scripts, and other issues.
- Export the data and view all pages, their metadata, headings, crawl depth, and many more attributes.
- Locate issues by filtering columns. For example, you might find pages with empty meta descriptions or no headings.
Structured Data Testing Tool
Google’s Structured Data Testing Tool is an easy and useful tool for validating your structured data markup and rich snippet display, including microformats and schema.org marked up in microdata, RDFa, JSON-LD syntax, including in dynamic HTML pages. It is essential for not only troubleshooting your own structured data issues but also, monitor your competitor’s structured data as well.
SimilarWeb is an online competitive intelligence tool that provides data related to your competitor’s traffic, top pages, engagement, marketing channels, and more. The tool provides users with a quick overview of a site’s reach, ranking and user engagement. The free service of SimilarWeb is limited to five results per metric, but it’s often enough to grab a quick data point.
Handpicked Related Content:
Top SEO Experts to Follow in 2020
SEO Techniques | On-Page/Off-Page Ranking Factors